Hacked Chinese Chicken with Szechuan peppercorns
• 1-2 lbs. boneless, skinless poached or grilled chicken, cooled
• 1 T. minced garlic
• 1/4 c. cilantro
• 4 T. soy sauce
• 6 T. smooth, natural peanut butter
• 3 T. shao hsing (Chinese cooking wine), or substitute dry sherry or vermouth.
• 3 T. honey
• 2 T. Chinese (toasted) sesame oil
• 1 1/2 T. seasoned (a.k.a. sushi) rice vinegar
• 1 T. Chinese hot chilli oil, OR ground hot pepper, or hot sauce to taste, optional
• 1/3 c. minced scallions
• 1/2 - 1 tsp. Szechuan peppercorns, or to taste
Shred the cooled chicken into bite-sized shreds. Combine the remaining ingredients in a resealable plastic bag, then add the shredded chicken and gently toss to coat the chicken thoroughly. Let stand for at least 1/2 hour and up to two hours before serving. Mound on a platter and surround with lettuces to serve.