Creating more usable space in your home
Smarter use of existing space can transform a home into a more pleasant living area. Combining smaller rooms or areas, dividing larger rooms, finishing an attic or basement, converting one room into a year-round “indoor porch” – all are possible projects to improve your home’s comfort level and value. Here are a few suggestions about products that will help you work smarter and easier on your “space additions.”
“When working indoors, it is important to take steps to keep the air free of dust and debris for the health and safety of those breathing it,” Woodcraft product manager Peter Collins said. Collins suggests two products that will help manage air quality:
- Oneida’s 5-Gallon Molded Dust Deputy Kit works with a shop vacuum to capture 99 percent of the dust.
- The Shop-Vac(R) Portable Air Cleaner keeps fine airborne dust from migrating all through the house when projects are underway.
- For framing in a basement or attic space, the Kreg Jig(R) HD will speed up this otherwise complex and time-consuming project. The jig allows you to drill 25 percent larger holes to accept the larger HD pocket screws and to work with 2x material.
- Fein’s MultiMaster Start is a great tool for cutting, sanding or scraping, as well as hardwood floor repair or installation, paint removal and refinishing.
- The versatile Jorgensen ISD3 Expandable Clamp can be used as a clamp, spreader or a larger clamp (two clamps joined).
- JessEm’s Rout-R-Lift II Complete System will add speed and precision to a 3.5 diameter router motor for fabricating window frames and balusters and adding molding details.
- A Kreg Rip-CutTM Circular Saw Guide and a circular saw make quick work of reducing large sheet goods to smaller panels for wainscoting a divider or hallway.
- The Festool Domino XL Joiner DF700 makes it easy to use mortise-and-tenon joinery for indoor/outdoor projects.
- FastCap’s 3rd Hand is a versatile helper for tasks like supporting crown molding during the nailing process.
- For surfaces that require fine finishes or paint, make the process easy and successful with the Earlex SprayStation Gemini(R) HVLP Spray System. The Gemini offers two methods of application: a cup-fed gun to spray a wide variety of finishes and paints and a pump that pushes water-based paint/stain directly from the can through a feeder hose into the gun for walls, fences and other large projects to eliminate frequent cup refills.
- Protect exterior wood surfaces with OneTIMETM Wood Protector, a proprietary acrylate resin blend that penetrates wood to become part of the cellular structure and cures by exposure to UV radiation. Available in natural and five colors, it is guaranteed to protect new wood, old wood, pressure-treated wood or wood that has had the previous coating removed for seven years.