Home / Articles / Arts & Entertainment / Visual Art / Decking the Hall
Print this Article
Wednesday, Nov. 16, 2005 02:39 pm

Decking the Hall

SAA opens its inaugural Holiday Hall Exhibition and Sale this weekend

art2595
Necklace by Jan Boucher; ceramic by Gloria Josserand
The Springfield Art Association opens its inaugural Holiday Hall Exhibition and Sale this weekend. The event marks a departure from the themes of past holiday exhibitions in favor of a fine-crafts sale for shoppers. Typically SAA’s juried exhibits draw works from artists all over the Midwest, but for the Holiday Hall, the SAA chose the work of 21 local artists to display and sell. Few artists who showed interest were turned away, but, says Amanda Lampert, curator of collections, the works had to fit the specific criteria of fine crafts.
“I think this is a great opportunity for unique holiday gifts,” Lampert says. “There are definitely a lot of wearable arts and pieces for gift-giving.”
Fabric artist Joan Gardner, jewelry-maker Poppy Vincent, and stained-glass artist Janet Seitz Carlson will have works on display. Prices will range from a mere $10 to a pricey $300 for certain pieces of jewelry. Seventy-four framed and matted vintage posters and prints will be up for grabs as well. The sale runs through Dec. 17 and all items may be taken home on the day they are purchased, so the artwork on display will change over the course of the month. The artists get a pretty good deal — 70 percent of the proceeds from the sale. The other 30 percent is retained by the SAA. “The money that we make goes back into our exhibit schedules because we always have our exhibits free and open to the public,” Lampert says. In addition to the fine-crafts sale and exhibit opening this weekend, the SAA grounds will be bustling with festive holiday tours at Edwards Place, an early-19th-century mansion that’s maintained by the SAA. These tours will be focused on Christmas customs. The SAA is optimistic that this year’s exhibit and sale will go off without a hitch. “We’re calling this our ‘first annual’ Holiday Hall Exhibit and Sale, and we already have it on the books for next year,” Lampert says.

The Holiday Hall Exhibition and Sale opens at 10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 19, and runs till 3 p.m.; light refreshments will be served 11 a.m.-1 p.m. The sale remains open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mon.-Fri. and 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Sat. through Dec. 17. Edwards Place holiday tours are offered 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Nov. 19; the cost is $5 for adults and $3 for children. The SAA is located at 700 N. Fourth St. (217- 523-2631).
Log in to use your Facebook account with
IllinoisTimes

Login With Facebook Account



Recent Activity on IllinoisTimes

Calendar

  • Thu
    20
  • Fri
    21
  • Sat
    22
  • Sun
    23
  • Mon
    24
  • Tue
    25
  • Wed
    26