Community Wish List for 12/17/2009
Lend a hand to these central Illinois organizations this holiday season. Thank you to all of the organizations who participated!
Sojourn Shelter and Services, Inc.
1800 Westchester Blvd., 726-5100 (office), 726-5200 (24-hour hotline)
Sojourn Shelter and Services, Inc. was founded in 1975 with a goal to provide a safe place to help victims of domestic violence. Sojourn currently provides 24-hour emergency shelter and hotline services, court advocacy, prevention, education, volunteer opportunities and operates Sojourn Westside Fashions. Sojourn is funded through state and federal grants, as well as donations from the community. Each year, Sojourn assists approximately 1,600 victims of domestic violence and their children.
- Boxed and canned foods: Hamburger Helper, spaghetti and sauce, mac and cheese, tuna and Tuna Helper, Manwich, ramen noodles, crackers, cold cereal, Pop Tarts
- Milk, juice
- Frozen waffles
- Microwavable breakfast biscuits
- Cleaning supplies: Clorox wipes, 409/Fantasik, Windex, bleach cleaners, floor cleaner, Lysol, laundry soap, paper towels
- Linens: bath towels, washcloths, twin sheets, pillows, laundry baskets,
- Baby items: diapers, wipes, monitors
- Electronic items: alarm clocks, VCR/DVD player, digital camera
- Board games
- SMTD bus tokens
- Gift cards: grocery gift certificates, gas cards, pre-paid phone cards
- Medicine and sickness aids: Kleenex, thermometers, DayQuil, infant Tylenol, children’s cold medicine
- Hats and gloves
Serving Jesus Willingly Urban Ministries
P.O. Box 6543, 753-0430
Serving Jesus Willingly is a national Christian urban outreach ministry working to bring help, hope and healing to needy families locally and nationally. The ministry physically provides 1,400-1,700 families with food, clothing, household items, cars and other emergency items as needed, while spiritually providing prayer and Bible studies.
- Canned goods (meat, soup, fruit)
- Paper goods (paper towels, toilet paper, window envelopes, 6 ¾ inch envelopes)
- Household items (bar soap, dish soap, laundry soap, bleach)
- Ziplock bags (gallon size)
- Trash bags (33 gallon size)
- Dry goods (macaroni and cheese, spaghetti, rice, cereal)
- Projects at the ministry: porch repairs, fence repairs, lawn clean-up, tree trimming, data entry, chuck hole repairs
- Daily prayers
- Monetary donations
Central Illinois Foodbank
2000 E. Moffat, 522-4022
Central Illinois Foodbank collects and distributes food and grocery items to over 160 charitable agencies in 21 Illinois counties. In addition to their partnerships with those various agencies, they are proud to host the Kids Cafe program. Kids Cafe is a nation-wide program through Feeding America that feeds children a hot, nutritious meal in a safe environment.
- Canned fruit & vegetables
- Canned meat
- Peanut butter
- Beef stew
- Pasta & canned pasta sauce
- Macaroni & cheese
- Toilet paper
- Laundry soap