Basic Tomato Sauce
This simple tomato sauce is adapted from Iron Chef Mario Batali’s version. Batali is one of the (sadly few) Food Network stars who really know their stuff. I’ve had some of the best meals of my life at his NYC restaurants.
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, NOT super-sweet, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or thinly sliced, or more or less to taste
- 3 T. fresh thyme or 1 T. dried thyme leaves, or other herbs such as rosemary or marjoram
- 2 28-oz. cans whole tomatoes, preferably San Marzanos
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Sauté the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat in a heavy Dutch oven until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned. Add the thyme or other herbs and cook another couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, crushing them with your hands. Simmer until thickened, 30 minutes or more. Season with salt and pepper. Makes approximately 4 cups.