Thursday, June 2, 2011 07:04 am
Ashley’s chocolate cake
“I can’t believe it! – I’m making a birthday cake for Gene Simmons (of the band KISS),” she once e-mailed me. The KISS members and crew loved it – as does everyone who eats this cake. Not only is it delicious, it’s as easy to make as any mix.
- 1 1/4 c. Dutch processed cocoa, plus additional to dust cake pans if necessary
- 2 1/2 c. all purpose unbleached flour
- 2 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder preferably Rumsford or another brand that doesn’t contain
- aluminum salts
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 large eggs and 1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 c. warm – not hot – strong coffee – instant is fine
- 1 1/4 c. buttermilk, at room temperature
- 10 T. unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature, plus additional for greasing the pans if necessary
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
It’s important that all ingredients be at room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 350°
Line the layer cake pans with waxed or parchment paper. Butter the cake pans, or Bundt pan, if using; then dust with cocoa powder, rapping sharply upside down to remove any excess.
Sift the cocoa into a large mixing bowl. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix on low for a couple of minutes, or use a spatula until the ingredients are combined. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until everything is incorporated, then turn the mixer to medium high or stir vigorously by hand, beating for three minutes.
Approximate Baking Times:
24 cupcakes – 20 minutes
9” cake layers start checking at 35 min.
Bundt cake – 50-60 minutes
Adapted from a recipe in Martha Stewart’s Cooking School Cookbook