Hazelnut romesco sauce
Romesco sauce is a Spanish classic, used as a dip for raw or grilled vegetables, shrimp or as a condiment for roasted meats. The traditional version calls for dried chiles and almonds and requires more laborious preparation. This different version is lighter, easier to prepare and equally delicious.
- 1/3 c. roasted hazelnuts, skinned
- 2 large roasted red bell peppers, peels and seeds removed, either freshly prepared or bottled, about 1 1/2 c.
- 3-4 coarsely chopped garlic cloves
- 2 T. sherry vinegar
- 1 T. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 T. chopped fresh marjoram or savory
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- Cayenne, hot pepper flakes, or other dried hot pepper to taste, optional
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil