Spicy wings with eastern Mediterranean flavors
An eastern Mediterranean riff on traditional Buffalo wings, this is adapted from a recipe of Iron Chef Michael Symon’s.
- 5 pounds chicken wings, tips removed, then halved
- 2 T. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 T. kosher salt
- 2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup Sriracha chile sauce, available in most grocery ethnic sections
- 6 T. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 c. chopped cilantro
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 medium limes
- 3 quarts oil for frying, optional
Coarsely crush the coriander and cumin seeds with a mortar and pestle or back of a heavy skillet. In a large pot, toss the wings with the coriander and cumin seeds, cinnamon, kosher salt and olive oil. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 375. Spread the wings in a single layer on rimmed baking sheets. Roast for about 30 minutes, until firm but not cooked through. If you don’t want to fry them, roast for an additional 15-30 minutes, or until crispy and golden.
Wash the bowl. Add the remaining ingredients (except the oil).
In a deep fryer or large pot, heat the oil to 375.