Thursday, Feb. 23, 2012 06:35 am
- 8-12 oz. smoky, thick-cut bacon, diced
- 2 lbs. coarsely chopped cabbage
- 1 c. chopped onion, NOT super-sweet
- 1 T. cane syrup, molasses, or dark brown sugar
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, or more or less to taste
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne, or more or less to taste
- Salt, if needed
Add the onion to the pot, stir to coat with the bacon fat, cover the pot, and let the onion cook for a few minutes, until it has turned translucent but hasn’t browned.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine well. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover the pot, and simmer until the cabbage is completely tender, about an hour. Check the seasoning; depending on the saltiness of your bacon, you may or may not need to add salt. Serves 4-6.