Thursday, Feb. 23, 2012 03:53 am
Vegetables braised in olive oil
- 1 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 T. anchovy paste
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red chili flakes, or more or less to taste, optional
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lemon, ends trimmed, thinly sliced crosswise, seeds removed
- 2 medium or 3 small zucchini, cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1 T. minced fresh rosemary
- 1 lb. baby or fingerling potatoes
- 1 medium head broccoli, cut into florets with some stem attached if possible
- 1/2 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets with some stem attached if possible
- 2 T. finely chopped parsley
- 1 T. fresh marjoram leaves, or substitute additional parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Add the zucchini in a single layer and cook, without stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Flip the zucchini, and cook a few minutes more.
Add the potatoes, broccoli and cauliflower and stir once or twice to coat in oil. Cook, covered, without stirring, until the vegetables begin to brown and soften, about 30 minutes.
Stir vegetables gently, replace the lid, and reduce the heat to medium-low; cook until the vegetables are very soft and tender, about 60 minutes more.
Remove the vegetables from the heat. Stir in half the parsley and marjoram. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature, sprinkled with the remaining parsley and marjoram.