Middle Eastern tomato sauce
This tasty tomato sauce is good not only with the pancakes above, but also served over rice or as an accompaniment to kebabs, kofte (meatballs) or grilled seafood or fish.
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 c. onion, NOT super-sweet, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or thinly sliced, or more or less to taste, about 1 T.
- 1 T. dried oregano leaves, crumbled
- 1 cinnamon stick, approximately 2 inches long OR 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Sauté the onion and garlic, along with the cinnamon stick and oregano, in the olive oil over medium heat or until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned. Add the tomatoes and their juices, crushing them with your hands. Simmer until thickened, 30 minutes or more. Season with salt and pepper.
Makes approximately 3 cups.