Shopping local by the numbers
See how much shopping local can affect your community with these fast facts.
Let’s talk small businesses
• According to the Small Business Administration, there are 29 million small businesses across the United States.
• These businesses account for 99.7 percent of all business in the country and provide 47 percent of the nation’s jobs, according to the SBA.
• About 8 million of these businesses are owned by minorities.
• Small businesses also donate 250 percent more of their earnings than larger companies to nonprofits and community causes, according to the Good Business Network.
Let’s talk American made
• The United States lost 5.7 million manufacturing jobs between 1998 and 2013, according to a report from the Economic Policy Institute. Shopping American-made supports those companies that choose to employ Americans.
• Shopping American-made is something most people prefer to do. According to a recent Consumer Reports survey, more than 60 percent say they will pay up to 10 percent more for the privilege.